Friday, May 1, 2009

Nerd is the Word!

A year or two ago I saw a great bumper sticker on a car that read, "Talk nerdy to me." I loved it! I came home and told my husband that geek is the new chic. His response? "No, it isn't." I insisted, "Yes, it is!" He replied with certainty, "No, it isn't." I had to acquiesce. Yes, I use words like "acquiesce," which explains why I thought nerds were suddenly fashionable.

Now, I happen to think my husband is one of the coolest guys on the planet. But, why wouldn't I? Just compare the two of us in terms of high school experience:

Dom: Vice President of his senior class.
Me: What's a senior class? Is that the class I was in for that year I hardly went to school?

Dom: Captain of the water polo team.
Me: Tried out for three sports and wasn't asked to join any teams. Looking back I can't believe I actually tried out for three sports.

Dom: Prom King.
Me: I actually went to prom--don't ask.

Dom at my reunion: "Hey, that's Dom over there! Isn't he two years younger than us?"
Me at my reunion: "Who's that girl with Dom?"

Go Trojans!

Now, I just want to clarify something. I am using high school to illustrate my point. Be aware that Dom is no Al Bundy whose glory days were all in the past when he was on the high school football team. I swear Dom does not sit in front of the TV with his hand tucked into his waistband. I mean, we don't even watch television any more. He's still cooler than me.

So, why am I talking about this anyway? It is my response to geeksugar. See, I knew it! Geek is the new chic. It says so on the trademark! That makes it true and me right. Geeksugar was fun to check out. As I admitted before, I am hesitant to learn about technology, so I was apprehensive about this tech site. But it was fun to navigate and I learned something too. I watched a youtube video that explained RSS feeds. RSS is one of those things I've wondered about but been afraid to ask.

You know how dumb you feel when you've known a person for over a year, perhaps worked with them, but you don't know their name? There's a point when it is just too late and embarrassing to ask. Technology is like that for me. I am so out of the loop that I don't even know when it's too late to ask things like: What's an RSS feed? What exactly does 2.0 mean anyway? Isn't texting an ineffective means of communication?

By the way, Dom so thinks nerds are cool too. Obviously! He married one, didn't he?

3 comments:

  1. So, have you reached, as Scott Adams so eloquently termed it, "Nerdvana"? Or is it "Geekopolis"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nerd is the word, is the word that you heard
    It's got groove it's got meaning
    Nerd is the time, is the place is the motion
    Nerd is the way we are feeling
    Nerd is the word
    is the word
    is the word...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hysterical! Loved it! and any nerd would be happy to explain, even to latecomers.

    ReplyDelete